Sony's brought out their latest full-frame E-mount lens today, the FE 35mm F1.8, which weighs in at a very portable 280g with an overall length of 73mm. The wide 35mm view and large F1.8 aperture makes this lens a versatile option for a variety of different situations.
The FE 35mm F1.8 is based on 11 elements in 9 groups with one aspherical element for taking care of chromatic aberrations. A 9-bladed circular aperture creates smooth bokeh in out-of-focus areas. Minimum focusing distance is as close as 0.22m.
On the side of the lens is a Customizable Focus Hold Button as well as a switch to toggle between auto and manual focus. Manual focus is courtesy of the large, linear response ring that allowed for some very fine tuning.
A little weather isn't a problem for the FE 35mm F1.8 with its dust- and moisture-resistant design.
The Sony FE 35mm F1.8 is expected to arrive in late August with an MSRP of $799.99. Pre-orders start July 11th, 2019!
Sony Electronics Boosts Full-frame Lens Line-up with Introduction of FE 35mm F1.8 Lightweight Prime
SAN DIEGO — July 9, 2019 — Sony Electronics Inc. today announced the latest addition to its E-mount full-frame lens line-up with the introduction of the FE 35mm F1.8 wide-angle prime lens, model SEL35F18F.
The compact dimensions and lightweight of this full-frame, large-aperture lens provide mobility and convenience for shooting a wide range of subjects, such as everyday snapshots, food photography, landscapes, night scenes and more. The new lens provides outstanding corner-to-corner image quality, while its quiet autofocus and tenacious tracking performance make it a great choice for both stills and movie shooting. Additionally, its compact form makes it an appealing choice for both APS-C body users, offering a 52.5mm equivalent focal length on APS-C cameras.
“Our E-mount lens lineup now includes 34 full-frame models and 52 lenses in total,” said Neal Manowitz, deputy president of Imaging Products and Solutions Americas at Sony Electronics. “The new 35mm prime combines outstanding corner-to-corner sharpness with a compact design, making it an ideal choice for a wide range of shooters. Sony will continue to develop and expand its imaging lineup, giving creators more options than ever before to realize their vision.”
High-resolution and large-aperture, full-frame performance in compact and lightweight lens
- Large F1.8 maximum aperture, weighing in at just 280 grams and measuring 65.6 mm (diameter) by 73.0mm (length); this new lens sets a new standard for portability
- Advanced optical construction, including an aspherical element to suppress aberration and deliver high resolution throughout the entire image frame; 9-blade circular aperture enhances beautiful bokeh
- Minimum focus distance of 0.22m and maximum magnification of 0.24x offer easy access to the world of close-up photography
Versatile control and handling for a wide range of imaging needs
- Conveniently placed, customizable focus hold button and a focus mode switch for instantaneous switching between auto and manual focus
- Linear Response Manual Focus for fine, responsive manual focus control
- Dust- and moisture-resistant design add to the versatility and reliability of this new lens and invoke a feeling of confidence in the user
Quiet AF with excellent tracking for movies as well as stills
- Fast, precise and quiet linear-motor AF drive system for both stills and continuous focus control
Pricing and Availability
The FE 35mm F1.8 will ship in August 2019 for approximately $750 US and $800 CA and will be sold at a variety of Sony’s authorized dealers throughout North America.