Leica Camera is pleased to announce the introduction of its latest camera, and the new evolution of one of its most popular recent releases, the Leica Q2. The Leica Q2 features a brand new 47.3 megapixel full frame sensor, integrated weather sealing throughout the body and built-in Summilux 28 mm f/1.7 lens, a brand new electronic viewfinder, lightning-fast autofocus and burst shooting, 4K video, a revised button layout and refined design.
- • Newly developed 47.3 MP full frame sensor for best-in-class image quality
- • Built-in crop modes are now improved to 30 MP at 35 mm, 15 MP at 50 mm, and 7 MP at a new 75 mm
- • Fully weather-sealed to brave the elements and always get the shot while maintaining a compact body
- • New 3.68 MP OLED EVF for an improved view of the scene with better color and clarity
- • Fixed Summilux 28 mm f/1.7 ASPH. lens for tack-sharp images and impeccable low-light quality
- • New processor from the Maestro II family ensuring peak performance at these new heights of resolution
- • Fast autofocus and 10 fps burst shooting to never miss a crucial moment
- • 4K video with UHD and Cine4K resolutions for easy on-the-go high quality recording
- • Refined control elements inspired by design languages established with the Leica M10 and CL
- • Made in Germany for the most premium quality materials and craftsmanship
- • Bluetooth LE (Low Energy) for easier pairing with Leica FOTOS and a continuous connection
- • The perfect everyday-carry lightweight travel companion with image quality capable of pro-level output
- • New Sensor With 95% More Resolution Than Its Predecessor: The Leica Q2's newly developed 47.3 megapixel full frame sensor boasts the highest resolution in its class. Matched with the high resolving power of its built-in Summilux lens, the Leica Q2 goes beyond the conventional use-cases of a 28 mm focal length via its built-in crop functions for equivalent focal lengths of 35 mm, 50 mm, and the newly available 75 mm – bringing with it more possibilities in the world of portraiture and close-up work. This new sensor maintains a 30 MP image when cropped to a 35 mm equivalent frame, even more than the original Leica Q's maximum of 24 MP at 28 mm. When shooting cropped DNG files the full sensor image is still recorded, allowing the user to undo or change the crop during post-processing. These newfound heights of resolution and flexibility, combined with high ISO performance and a fast aperture make the Leica Q2 the perfect companion for all areas of street, architectural, landscape, travel, documentary, reportage and even portrait photography.
- • Weather Sealing And Improved Battery Life: The Leica Q2's IP52-certified weather sealing protects the camera from dust, rain and water spray and ensures users can photograph under challenging environmental conditions. The adoption of the BP-SCL4 battery from the Leica SL boosts battery life by 30% over the original Leica Q, and its built-in rubber gasket further helps seal the Q2. This level of weather-sealing is usually reserved for pro-level cameras such as the Leica SL and Leica S, putting the Q2 at that similar level of resilience, and is especially helpful under challenging environmental conditions.
- • New OLED High-Resolution EVF: The Leica Q2 features a newly developed high-resolution OLED viewfinder, which offers a lag-free high refresh rate and faster auto-switching between the rear display and EVF. The high resolution of 3.68 megapixels in the viewfinder provides the clearest vision of the user’s composition to perfectly and accurately frame subjects. OLED panels, known today for being utilized in the highest quality smartphone and TV screens on the market, are superior to LCDs as they control each pixel’s brightness independently – this yields a better color depth and quality for a more pleasing experience every time the camera is raised to the user’s eye.
- • Speed Speed Speed + 4K Video: The autofocus system of the Leica Q2 focuses sharply on the subject within milliseconds, making it one of the fastest cameras in its class. Improvements to its new processor from the Maestro II family have enabled a high continuous burst shooting rate with an impressive 10 frames per second from the mechanical shutter, even at maximum resolution. The Leica Q2 adds 4K UHD and Cine4K video recording to its arsenal of features, with frame rate options across 4K and 1080p. In combination with the Leica FOTOS App, the camera’s integrated Wi-Fi module makes it possible to quickly and easily share pictures and video via social media, and thanks to Bluetooth LE (Low Energy) a permanent connection can be established between camera and smartphone. Now users can even remotely wake the camera and connect any time when in range.
- • Refined Design And Improved Handling: The design of the Leica Q carries forward the Leica tradition of reduction to the essentials. The ‘Made in Germany’ seal of quality guarantees that only the finest and most resilient materials are employed in its construction. The distinctive thumb rest of the new Leica Q2 and the sophisticated diamond pattern of its leather trim ensure optimum grip and highlight the symbiosis of function and form. Also new is the camera’s uniquely intuitive handling concept, following refined design language cues established from its brethren in the Leica M10 and Leica CL families – such as the single-stage On/Off switch, simplified three-button interface on the rear of the camera and programmable button within the thumb wheel dial. A new highlight of the Leica Q2 layout is the push-button diopter compensation dial on the back of the camera that locks and prevents inadvertent changes to the user’s desired setting. Every refinement, both large and small, pushes Leica’s design forward without losing sight of the core philosophy of the camera.