Videos Hide Videos Show Videos
The RF200-800mm F6.3-9 IS USM is a versatile lens, combining powerful telephoto capability and Image Stabilization in a portable design that many users may be able to hand-hold. The lens weighs about 4.5 pounds, and its Image Stabilization delivers up to 5.5 stops of shake-correction**, for steadiness whether you’re handholding, or working with a monopod. The RF 200-800mm F6.3-9 IS USM can help elevate your content whether it’s wildlife, birds and nature, or outdoor sports such as surfing, golf, baseball, motorsports, and more.
RF200-800mm F6.3-9 IS USM Features
- Powerful zoom range from 200mm through 800mm
- Compatible with Extender RF1.4x and Extender RF2x, at all focal lengths
- Comfortable handheld shooting and amazing mobility
- Optimized optical design maintains high image quality through zoom range
- Nano USM for quiet and smooth AF during movie recording that also supports focus breathing correction*
- Optical IS with image stabilization effect of 5.5 stops and support for Coordinated Control IS**
- Dust- and weather-resistant design
- Focus/control ring and two Lens Function Buttons
Powerful Zoom Range
The RF200-800mm F6.3-9 IS USM lens has a 4x zoom that covers from telephoto to super-telephoto ranges, allowing you to capture a subject at a distance to fill the entire frame. The availability to back-off to 200mm at its wide end means you can easily include a subject’s surroundings. The 800mm maximum tele capability is outstanding when photographing wild birds, wild animals, and other subjects — and delivers powerful visual “telephoto compression", in stills and video content. This 4x zoom range gives great flexibility, when working with subjects whose movements are unpredictable as you are able to continue shooting or recording video — even if the subject comes closer.
Get Even Closer
Support for the optional Extender RF1.4x and Extender RF2x in all zooming ranges further expands the telephoto range of 200-800mm. This means you can get even closer to distant subjects with effective telephoto power of up to 1120mm with the Extender RF1.4x, or to an effective 1600mm using the Extender RF2x.
Designed for Mobility
At approximately 4.5 lbs. (2,050 g), the RF200-800mm F6.3-9 IS USM lens is relatively lightweight and compact for a super-telephoto 4x zoom lens with an 800mm telephoto end. This allows for comfortable handheld shooting and excellent mobility. The versatility of the 200-800mm zoom range also liberates you from carrying multiple lenses, making it very practical for various outdoor shooting situations.
High Image Quality
In order to maintain high image quality at any zoom range, the RF200-800mm F6.3-9 IS USM lens is equipped with an optimized optical design with a multi-group zooming configuration. Three Ultra-low Dispersion glass elements in its 17-element design ensure amazing color and sharpness. The lens takes advantage of the short back focus RF mount system to achieve both superb image quality and a lightweight, compact design.
Optical Image Stabilization — Up to 5.5 stops** of Shake Correction
For consistently sharp results, the RF200-800mm F6.3-9 IS USM features built-in optical Image Stabilization, providing enhanced shake reduction for up to 5.5 stops** of shake correction. The lens also supports Coordinated IS when paired with an EOS R-series camera that has In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS). This means more reliable handheld performance and clearer detail in low-light situations, without having to increase the ISO or decrease the shutter speed.
**Based on CIPA (Camera & Imaging Products Association) standards. Testing performed using the EOS R camera. Coordinated IS only available with cameras equipped with IBIS and also provides 5.5 stops correction, using EOS R3 camera, in CIPA-compliant tests.
Nano USM for Quiet and Smooth AF
The lens features a Nano USM (ultrasonic motor) focus drive system which provides quiet and smooth AF, especially useful during movie recording. The RF200-800mm F6.3-9 IS USM lens supports Dual Pixel CMOS AF in EOS R series cameras, even when combined with an optional Extender. Plus, it supports focus breathing correction*, in which the camera digitally corrects for changes in angle of view caused by focus movement during video recording.
*Available only when the lens is attached to a camera equipped with focus breathing correction function. When focus breathing correction is activated, viewing field of the image becomes narrower.
Several features are incorporated into the lens to enhance the operability for photographers. A Focus/Control Ring on the lens barrel can directly adjust numerous settings including shutter speed, aperture, exposure compensation and more — or act as a manual focus ring. Two conveniently located Lens Function Buttons allow you to program specific functions to occur at the press of either button, such as immediate access to Eye Detect AF, changes to exposure settings, and more***. The RF200-800mm F6.3-9 IS USM is also designed for smooth and balanced zoom operation, so the central balance of the lens doesn’t shift when the total length of the lens changes.
***Lens Function button settings are performed in the camera’s “Customize Buttons” menu. Range of possible functions varies, depending upon camera model being used. Only one function can be applied at a time, and each button performs the same function.
Durable and Dependable Build
The RF200-800mm F6.3-9 IS USM lens is built with field shooting in mind. Dust- and weather-resistant design features on the mount, switches, buttons, focus/control ring, zoom ring, and adjustment ring, along with white paint as a heat countermeasure when shooting outdoors, provide for high dependability and durability.
- Focal Length
- Maximum and Minimum Aperture
- f/6.3 - f/54
- Lens Mount Type
- RF Mount
- Compatible Cameras
- Canon EOS R-series, full-frame and APS-C
- (focal length equivelant to approx. 320-1280mm when used on an APS-C camera)
- Minimum Focusing Distance
- 0.8 m/2.62 ft. (at 200mm)
- 1.8 m/5.91 ft. (at 400mm)
- 2.8 m/9.19 ft. (at 600mm)
- 3.3 m/10.83 ft. (at 800mm)
- Maximum Magnification
- 0.25x (at 200mm)
- 0.2x (at 800mm)
- Field of View, at Minimum Focus Distance
- Approx. 135 × 90 mm / 5.3 x 3.5 in. (at 200mm)
- Approx. 173 × 115 mm / 6.8 x 4.5 in. (at 800mm)
- Approx. 192 × 128 mm / 7.5 x 5.0 in. (at 550mm)
- Angle of View (Diagonal)
- Approx. 12° – 3° 05'
- Lens Construction
- 17 elements in 11 groups
- Special Elements
- 3 UD lenses
- Lens Coating
- Canon SSC (Super Spectra Coating)
- Filter Size Diameter
- Aperture Blades
- Image Stabilization
- 5.5 stops correction with In-lens Optical Image Stabilization
- (5.5 stops correction with EOS R series in-body coordinated Image stabilization)
- Focusing Drive System
- Canon Nano USM
- Full-time Manual Focusing
- (Supports both ONE SHOT AF and SERVO AF with compatible EOS R-series cameras)
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF Coverage (Horizontal x Vertical)
- EOS R, RP — Approx. 88% x 100%
- EOS R5, R6 — Approx. 90% x 100%
- EOS R3, R6 Mark II, R8 — Approx. 90% x 100%
- EOS R7, R10, R50, R100 — Approx. 90% x 100%
- Focusing / Control Ring
- Selection using focus mode/control selector switch.
- AF/MF Switch
- MF/Control Ring Switch
- Distance Scale
- None (Electronic distance scale possible in viewfinder or LCD monitor, with compatible EOS R-series cameras)
- Distance Limiter Switch
- Dust / Weather Resistant Construction
- Maximum Outer Diameter x Length
- Approx. 4.0 in. (ø102.3mm) x 12.4 in. (ø314.1mm) (at 200mm)
- Approx. 72.3 oz. / 4.5 lbs. / 2050g
- Lens hood
- Canon Lens Hood ET-101 (Bundled)
- Lens cap
- Canon Lens Cap E-95 (Bundled)
- Dust cap
- Canon Lens Dust Cap RF (Bundled)
- Lens Strap
- Canon Lens Strap 40 (Bundled, not sold separately)
- Lens Case
- Canon Lens Case LZ1438 (not bundled, sold separately)
- Extension Tubes None
- None (No Canon RF mount extension tubes)
- Close-up Lenses 250D / 500D
- Not compatible
- Canon RF Extender 1.4x/2x
- Canon Gelatin Filter Holder III/IV
- Not compatible
|Availability||Expected December 2023|